Product Connectivity Procedure
Product Connectivity Procedure
The procedures for connecting hardware to the Tuya Smart Cloud.
If it is the first time for you to connect the Tuya Smart Cloud, please follow the following procedure. Each step will be described in detail.
Become A Developer
Register and complete basic information to become a developer on the Tuya IoT platform.
This account shall be properly saved because you need this account in all the subsequent development process. More importantly, the hardware products and App created in later process, and the generated equipment operation and user data belong to this account. This account will also act as the super administrator that creates new accounts for other team members and assign different operation permits based on roles of team members.
After account registration, you may create and connect products first, but you cannot use other functions until your account is approved in the back end.
Creating a product on the platform is the first step to make it smart. When the product is created, it will be registered and generated in the Tuya Cloud, and a unique identity PID will be given to the product. For details about creating new product, see Guidance for Creating Product
Create function point
A function point mean to the function abstraction of a product, and it is represented by different data points (DP). For example, a device switch has functions including switching-on and switching-off, and it is represented by a Boolean type DP (0 means switching-off and 1 means switching-on).
Function point is the most important attribute for a product. Therefore, the first step to make product smart is to define and realize product function. Subsequently, MCU SDK and App control interfaces of product for embedded development will be generated automatically according to product function.
For details about how to create function points, see：Getting started with the developer platform-Defining function points of product
App Control Interface
Tuya provides multiple App control interface templates. You can also configure your own templates, that is to say, you may build and design App control interface for your products. You can realize control interface for the App quickly and 0 investment in App development.
For details, see: Automatic App interface generation engine
Hardware & Embedded Development
Hardware and embedded development may begin after the function points of a product are created. Read the following materials about hardware first:
Description for use of development board：Description for Use of TYDE3.0 Development Board
If you need Wi-Fi module and development board for debugging, you can buy them on-line：Buy Wi-Fi module
Embedded program development
After the function points are created, you can download MCU SDK directly from the Tuya Cloud to start development as soon as possible.
The serial port communication protocol can be downloaded form the product development-MCU program.
MCU SDK development：Description for Use of MCU SDK
MCU program verification： Wi-Fi simulator
Product test：Product test process
[Important] To ensure product quality, the embedded programs must include product test process.
App can be developed when performing hardware embedded development. Tuya Smart provides three kinds of smart App: standard App, OEM brand App and customized App. See official website of Tuya Tuya Smart APP for details.
Use standard App: Use template to create product. After the hardware passed the product test, search the “Tuya Smart” App from the App store, and download and install it. Then you can configure network directly for your product.
OEM brand App：The manufacturers can make App with self-defined Logo and name base on the Tuya Smart App. For details about how to make your own App, see App 0 code development process o
Customized APP： Totally customized App interface can be realized by using the APP SDK.
SDK development files are as follows:
If you need Tuya Smart to develop the App for you，please Contact Tuya
Precautions for hardware design [Important]
Attention shall be paid to this part.
- Module encapsulation: during designing device control circuit, you will select module type and pay attention to the module encapsulation and dimensions because this decides how to fit the module into the control board.
- Reset key and Wi-Fi indicator: Do not forget this step in the hardware appearance design process, or users cannot add device. The device must have the Wi-Fi indicator that indicates the network configuration status and the Reset key that keeps the network configuration status of the device. Steps are as follows: 1) Define and design the Wi-Fi indicator and the Reset key so that the device has independent Wi-Fi indicator and Reset key. For example, define an independent Wi-Fi button or small insertion hole, and press the button for 3 seconds to reset the device (enable network configuration status). Meanwhile, a Wi-Fi indicator or icon on the screen will be blinking. 2) Integrate the Reset key and Wi-Fi indicator with other keys. For example: press “+” key for temperature adjustment for 3 seconds to reset the device (enable network configuration status of device). And the temperature value on the screen will be blinking quickly.
Joint Debugging of Hardware and App and Whole Device Test
Note: Please complete the following works before joint debugging：
- Use the Tuya Cloud Serial Port Debugging Helper to test the hardware.
- Run function test of App on virtual device.
- Complete the product test program of the embedded program.
Connect the Wi-Fi module to the control board for whole device test. Test contents include:
Whether the hardware functions are in normal;
Whether the networking part of hardware works: Reset key and Wi-Fi indicator;
Whether it is possible to add the hardware in the App. Multiple tests can be conducted to ensure network stability.
Whether App can operate hardware normally. Multiple tests can be conducted to ensure network stability and response speed.
In case any problem occurs in the test, contact the technical staff of Tuya immediately.
[Important] Before small-scale trial production, please send prototype device to Tuya Smart for real device test to ensure the stability of product. After that, trial production and mass production may begin.
Small-scale trial production
After the prototype device has passed the test, small-scale trial production may begin. The small-scale trial production aims to simulate and troubleshoot the whole process of mass production except for product quality verification, and it must be carried out strictly.
The steps are as follows:
- Propose needs for trial production to the business contact of Tuya: purchase Wi-Fi module (quantity) or Cloud service access devices (quantity) (the needs must be submitted 2 weeks before the trial production);
- Colleagues of Tuya business will confirm production information including PID, product name, quantity and module model with manufacturers.
- Generation process of internal authorization code of Tuya.
- Production process of Wi-Fi module of Tuya and module manufacturer.
- Module delivery to manufacturers.
- Hardware production of manufacturers.
- Product test procedure of hardware of manufacturers.
- Test procedure of whole hardware device of manufacturers.
- Summary of problems and improvement.
The mass production may begin after all problems met in the trial production are solved. The process of mass production may be the same as that of trial production, and the quantities of Wi-Fi modules needed shall be submitted 2 weeks in advance before the mass production.
During the entire production, you are welcome to contact the technical staff of Tuya to make both informed. In case any problem occurs, you can contact Tuya to find the solution together, so as to accelerate the process to mass production.